“All life is scared and all creation related. What we do affects the whole universe. So let us walk in balance with mother earth and all her people.”- Smiling Bear
Several years ago I noticed that occasionally I would get a lump in my armpit, it usually hurt when I applied pressure and sometimes it would rise to the surface and look almost like a pimple. I found this concerning given what I had heard about the aluminum and other chemicals in deodorant and the potential health concerns they pose. When I began trying to limit my waste and my use of plastic I decided to start looking into other deodorant options. What I found was that you basically you have three choices:
- Buy a natural brand like Tom’s of Main, this is a good option but it is still wrapped in plastic.
- Make your own, also a good option but it’s takes time to make and it seemed a little messy to put on.
- Buy a crystal rock, this is the option I decided to go with.
There’s nothing wrong with buying a natural brand or making your own, but personally, I decided to try the crystal. At first I was extremely skeptical, I mean it does sound pretty kooky but I read lots of reviews and decided to give it a try. I figured even if it didn’t work I was only out $6 and if it did work I’d be saving quite a bit of money. Six dollars to smell good for a year, that’s a bargain;) It worked far and above what I had expected. Let me list what I see as the benefits:
- There’s a plastic cup and the packaging but it lasts a year instead of a month or two so overall you are using much less plastic.
- If used daily it will last for a year. This breaks down to spending only 53 cents a month on deodorant.
- You don’t have to worry about getting white streaks on your clothing. You do have to use a little water on the rock before you rub it on your skin but it’s not difficult or messy.
- It’s completely natural, fragrance free, and made from mineral salts and ammonium alum (not to be confused with the aluminum used in other deodorants, unlike that substance this is completely harmless). This means you don’t have to worry about cancer, hormone imbalances or allergic reactions.
- It’s not tested on animals.
The only drawback is this is not an antiperspirant so if you have trouble with sweating a lot I don’t know if this would be the best option for you. It’s important to remember that sweating is actually a good thing and antiperspirants have chemicals that intentionally block pores, it’s not the deodorant part that has the bad stuff its actually the antiperspirant. One thing you could try is only using antiperspirant in the summer when its really hot or you know you have an important event, other than that I don’t know of a lot of other good alternatives. If you know of one I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to shoot me a message or leave a note in the comments section below.
If you want to give //ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=thensingsmyso-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B019G9OTYI&asins=B019G9OTYI&linkId=538b7c92e4060061db330a599b51db7a&show_border=false&link_opens_in_new_window=true&price_color=333333&title_color=0066c0&bg_color=ffffff” target=”_blank”>Crystal Body Deodorant a try this is the one I recommend. You can get it on Amazon and it might be available at some grocery stores but I didn’t have much luck finding it where I live.
Have you tried DIY deodorant, natural deodorant, or rock crystals? What were your thoughts?